Sunmaxx PVT and Oxford PV unveil world’s most efficient solar PVT module

Sunmaxx PVT, a German developer and manufacturer of photovoltaic-thermal solar modules, and Oxford PV, a producer of high-efficiency tandem solar cells, announced the launch of the “Solar Hammer" module. This partnership marks the first use of perovskite-on-silicon tandem solar cells in a photovoltaic thermal module, enabling a very high conversion efficiency. Both the cells and the modules are produced in Germany.

Sunmaxx PVT’s modules combine proven thermal management technology from the automotive industry with photovoltaics, leading to a total conversion efficiency of 80%, certified by Fraunhofer ISE. Oxford PV’s perovskite-on-silicon tandem solar cells have broken multiple records for conversion efficiency. In combination, these technologies enable more usable electricity and heat to be generated from the sun’s energy. The new module comes at a record efficiency of 26.6% electrical and 53.4% thermal efficiency, totaling 80% overall efficiency on aperture area level of 1.63 m2. The electrical power of the module with 6×10 M6 cells is 433 W, surpassing the previous record of Fraunhofer ISE.


The technology is meant to be commercialized in the next 12 to 18 months. Oxford PV will supply the cells from their manufacturing line in Brandenburg an der Havel, while Sunmaxx will produce the “Solar Hammer” modules at their 50MW factory in Ottendorf-Okrilla.

“This partnership symbolizes the most innovative parts of Germany’s solar industry coming together,” commented David Ward, CEO of Oxford PV. “The development of these high-efficiency modules is not only important for accelerating the energy transition, but also for ensuring that Europe’s solar industry is setting the pace on commercialization of technologies where we have a competitive advantage.”

Wilhelm Stein, CEO of Sunmaxx, stated, “We believe this technology will be valuable for homeowners, businesses and municipalities looking to meet their decarbonization goals quickly, and that this partnership will be valuable for Germany’s solar industry. Oxford PV and Sunmaxx are aligned by a common goal— helping fill the gap in Germany and Europe’s green industrial production, promoting technological innovation, and creating a future where every city and industry can be powered by renewables.”

Posted: Jun 21,2024 by Roni Peleg